Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Here goes nothing

Well, I've been on this stupid computer for a while trying to figure out the best way to go about this 'blogging' nonsense. Consider this post a trial run, as I am sure the look and feel of the blog will change once I figure this website out a little more. This is assuming that the internet at the bottom of the world is fast enough for me to even work on this.

So today was the beginning of orientation and, between you and me, I can't help but wonder if everyone here, including myself, is seriously lacking in common sense. I spent the better part of the day listening to how cold, dry, and generally miserable my life is going to be for the next half year or so. Honestly, listening to these people talk about their experiences made me think, "If that is really how you feel, why are you here getting ready to go again?" It makes me wonder about my own sanity levels because after hearing all of this I am still really excited to go. Go figure. There must be something more to it because here they are, ready to go again.

Anyways, two days and I'm off to New Zealand. Can't wait!

12 comments:

devyn larson said...

Have a blast Rob! Hug a penguin for me and bring back a dog sled for Aly. ")Can't wait to hear all about New Zealand! Love & Prayers, Cos Dev

Jen Andrade said...

I am soooo proud of you! Now go off and explore! Be crazy, but not to crazy.

Jen Andrade said...

Dang it!! It should have said "too crazy". Oh well.

rcm said...

The start of your blog is, well, cool! Keep writing, post lots of pictures, and tell us all about your experiences and how you are doing. We love you, we miss you, and we are already looking forward to seeing you safe and sound in six months.

Mark said...

WOW, you are in for a great adventure!! Can't wait to see some pix- Sorry we missed your Bon Voyage party :{

Mark

Gma said...

Kept checking my watch today to see if you'd landed in Auckland - you lucky stiff! Ain't technology grand that we can communicate this way? We can experience this adventure with you! Can't wait for all the posts and pix...Be smart, have a ball - love you the most -

Dan said...

Go down there and kick some ass Rob. Be safe, we hope you have a great adventure. When you get back we'll talk about USC winning another National Championship, The Raiders going to the Superbowl and Manram leading the Dodgers to the World Series!.....What? I've seen stranger things happen.

Love Dan,Renee & Ava

Laurie said...

Hi Robbie! You are famous up here in Portland! Keep us updated on all your adventures.
Love you,
A. Laurie and U. Paul
PS U. Paul says, "I'm blue and I'm first!"

rcm said...

Hi Robbie - We are really enjoying your blog. The pictures and narrative are excellent. How is the work going, especially when you have to work outside?

rcm said...

Hi Robbie,

Just read your latest posting about working outside. I cannot even imagine. We did the Avenue of the Giants today, and it was in the low 80s! Anyway, be careful!

cludirector said...

Thank you so much for such detailed and really excellent commentary. Your pics of New Zealand remind me and Mike of the WONDERFUL time we had back packing in the wilderness. NZ is a truly special place...but I also hunch that your assignment in Anarctica will be an experience you will never forget. GREAT Blog!~

rcm said...

Hi Robbie,

I check your blog every day for updates, and I was glad to see an update today. Very interesting stuff -- both the pix and narrative. Keep it coming!